If you’ve been wondering how to wash leather handbags properly, you’ve come to the right place. Leather handbags are a stylish yet delicate accessory that requires careful maintenance. In this article, we’ll walk you through each step to keep your bag looking like new.
You’ll need the following materials to wash leather handbags:
How to Wash Leather Handbags – Instructions
Before you start, prepare the handbag for cleaning:
- Empty the bag of all its contents.
- Open all pockets and compartments.
- Remove any removable straps or accessories.
Testing Leather Compatibility
It’s essential to test the leather cleaner on a small, hidden part of the bag before applying it everywhere. Here’s how to do it:
- Apply a small amount of leather cleaner onto a soft cloth.
- Gently rub the cleaner onto a discreet area of the bag.
- Wait for a few minutes and examine the area for discoloration or damage.
Read more articles on bag cleaning here – How to Clean Bags: Your Comprehensive Guide for Spotless Bags
Cleaning the Exterior
Here’s how to wash leather handbags’ exteriors:
- Dampen a soft cloth with water.
- Apply a moderate amount of leather cleaner to the cloth.
- Gently wipe the exterior surfaces of the handbag.
- Use a second damp cloth to wipe off any excess cleaner.
- Allow the handbag to dry naturally.
Cleaning the Interior
Cleaning the interior of leather handbags requires a different approach:
- Turn the bag inside out if possible.
- Dampen a sponge with water.
- Gently scrub the interior lining of the bag.
- Allow the interior to dry naturally.
After you’ve cleaned both the exterior and the interior, the last step is to apply a leather conditioner. This will help keep your bag looking fresh and extend its lifespan:
- Apply a small amount of leather conditioner to a soft cloth.
- Gently rub the conditioner onto the leather surfaces.
- Let the conditioner sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Wipe off any excess conditioner with a clean cloth.